- News & Reports
- Take action
- Donate to CHAN Site
About Chan (including subscribe to mail list)
June 2012--The Canada Haiti Action Network (CHAN) is an information and action network with member committees in cities across Canada. The network was formed in 2004 out of concern over the violent overthrow of elected government in Haiti on February 29, 2004 and the forced exile of the elected president, Jean Bertrand Aristide.
The devastating earthquake that struck Haiti on January 12, 2010 now raises far deeper concerns about the direction of the country. In whose interests will Haiti be rebuilt--those of its poor majority, or those of international financiers, sweatshop factory owners, and food growers and exporters in the United States and Europe? " Solidarity and national sovereignty, not charity", is the watchword of the Canada Haiti Action Network in this new period of Haiti's history.
The member committees of CHAN work for the following goals:
- Universal respect of Haiti’s sovereignty
- For massive earthquake relief and aid, delivered in a manner that assists and strengthens the sovereign and popular institutions of the Haitian people
- The safe return of political exiles and the freeing of all political prisoners
- A full Parliamentary inquiry in Canada concerning its role in the overthrow of elected government in Haiti in 2004, and reparations to the Haitian people from all the countries that took part in that illegal act
- Cancellation of all outstanding debt obligations by Haiti to international financial institutions
CHAN maintains a website to share the latest information about Haiti and to store important documents and reports. It encourages and sponsors travel to and from Haiti in order to increase awareness between popular, cultural, and faith organizations in our two countries. It also hosts an e-mail listserve. To subscribe to the CHAN listserve, send a request to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please specify if you would like to join the daily mail list or receive the weekly news digest.
* If you are interested in joining Haiti Solidarity BC or other CHAN affiliates or would like to know more about the organization and our work, you can e-mail us at email@example.com or you can phone Roger in Vancouver at 778 858 5179.