Latest News

Canada Haiti Action Network website fundraising campaign

pro Aristide protest.jpg

CHAN readers & supporters,

(Version Francaise ci-dessous) 

The website of the Canada-Haiti Action Network is undergoing an upgrade and needs your support.

The website mandate will continue to focus on providing news and analysis of the ongoing political and humanitarian crisis in Haiti. Accordingly, the name is being changed to The Canada-Haiti Information Project.

In addition, the website needs technical upgrades, including crucial security and formatting upgrades. These and other upgrades will allow the site to function on smartphone platforms and other devices, and will allow editors to relaunch a regular, monthly email news bulletin with a format to accommodate all web browsers and email services. 

Huge weapons shipment seized in St. Marc

2016 09 08 Haitian police seize arms shipment in St Marc.jpg

By Yves Pierre-Louis, Haiti Liberté, Sept. 14, 2016

On Thu., Sep. 8, at the port of St. Marc, 85 kilometers northwest of Port-au-Prince, a customs search of an off-loaded truck from Miami uncovered a large quantity of weapons, ammunition, and other military equipment.

The investigating judge reported seizing 159 12-gauge shotguns (nine of them double-barreled), five M4 carbines, a Glock pistol, and about 30,000 rounds of 9mm, 5.56mm, 38 caliber, and 12 gauge ammunition. Haitian authorities also impounded 15 pairs of handcuffs, 10 pairs of boots, 12 uniforms (blue pants, black shirts), five bullet-proof vests, and many ammo clips.

Haitian Secretary of State for Public Security Himmler Rébu quickly went to the scene, vowing to trace the shipment’s source, would-be recipients, and accomplices, both in Haiti and abroad. However, Mr. Rébu, a former Haitian Army colonel, is an outspoken Duvalierist and a political ally of former President Michel Martelly. The neo-Duvalierist pro-Martelly sector is the most opposed to the current government and is likely behind the arms shipment.

Cholera blamed on U.N. peacekeepers surges in Haiti as funding vanishes

cholera haiti sept 9 reuters water collection.jpg

By Makini Brice, Reuters, Sept. 9, 2016

U.N.-led foreign funding has dried up for Haiti's fight against cholera, thought to have been introduced by Nepali peacekeepers, triggering a surge of deaths this year even as the global body vowed to help overcome the epidemic.

The lack of support is notable because Haiti was free of cholera until 2010, when U.N. peacekeepers dumped infected sewage into a river, according to investigators. Since then, more than 9,000 people have died of the disease that causes uncontrollable diarrhea and 800,000 people have fallen ill, mostly in the first two years of the outbreak.

The United Nations has not legally accepted responsibility for the outbreak. An independent panel appointed by Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon issued a 2011 report that did not determine conclusively how the cholera was introduced to Haiti.

However, a new report by the independent U.N. Special Rapporteur on Extreme Poverty and Human Rights that will be presented to the U.N. General Assembly later this year concluded that scientific evidence "now points overwhelmingly to the responsibility of the peacekeeping mission as the source of the outbreak."

In August, Ban said the United Nations has a "moral responsibility" to help Haiti's cholera victims and their families.

Haitians mobilize against renewal of UN mission MINUSTAH

MOLEGHAF & BAI 13 SEPT port au prince 2016 David Oxygene.jpg

By teleSUR, Sept. 12, 2016

Haitian social organizations are planning three mobilizations starting Tuesday in opposition to the possible renewal of the United Nations Stabilization Mission in Haiti, or MINUSTAH.

David Oxygene, leader of the Movement of Liberty, Equality of Haitians for Brotherhood, told the Haiti-based Alterpresse that they oppose any U.N. mission to the island after a report from the organization recommended Haitian authorities renew their presence for a further six months.

The popular Democratic Movement has also joined the calls against the U.N. “The cholera pandemic has been one of the biggest disasters caused by MINUSTAH, not even mentioning the rapes of minors and adults," said the group's leader Guy Numa.

Justin (sunny ways) Trudeau talks left wing, governs right

JUSTIN-TRUDEAU-NATO-facebook.jpg

By Mersiha Gadzo, CBC.ca, Sept. 4, 2016

Many celebrated ​Justin ​Trudeau's election, thinking the charismatic leader would turn a new page for Canada, especially for Canadian Muslims who overwhelmingly voted for the Liberals in 2015. Yet the Liberals who presented themselves as open and transparent while in opposition have proven to be anything but in government.

While in opposition, the Liberals advocated for three innocent Canadian Muslims tortured in the Middle East with CSIS complicity. One of them, Ahmad El Maati, spent more than two years languishing in Syrian and Egyptian prisons.

The 2008 Iacobucci report found that CSIS agents travelled secretly to Egypt, shared unfounded allegations that the men were al-Qaeda terrorists and provided questions to interrogators. The "confession" obtained through torture was used in Canadian courts to justify search warrants. The three men demanded an apology and filed a $100-million civil lawsuit, which the Liberals supported while in opposition.

But now that he's prime minister, Trudeau and his federal Liberals are continuing Stephen Harper's legal battle against compensation, filing an appeal against the lawsuit and requesting retroactive blanket anonymity for spies in order to protect government officials complicit in torture.

Clinton e-mails point to US intervention in 2010 Haiti elections

clintons-martelly1-682x351.jpg

By Jake Johnston, CEPR (Center for Economic & Policy Research), Sept. 7, 2016

“The situation cannot afford Washington to sit on sidelines. They elected him and they need [sic] pressure him. He can't go unchecked,” Laura Graham, then the Chief Operating Officer of the Clinton Foundation, wrote to Bill Clinton in early 2012. Graham was referring to the increasingly erratic, and potentially dangerous, behavior of Haitian president Michel Martelly. When she said “They elected him,” she was referring to the US government, which intervened through the OAS to change the election results of the first round of Haiti, putting Martelly in to the second round. The e-mail, one of many Graham sent to Bill Clinton’s deputy chief of staff on February 26, 2012, eventually was sent to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and her top aide, Cheryl Mills. The note is perhaps the clearest evidence to date that key officials, even within the Clinton camp, viewed the US intervention in the 2010 Haitian election as decisive.

Haitian-Dominican talks resume

Dominican foreign minister Miguel Vargas Maldonado & Haitian foreign minister Pierrot Delienne 2.jpg

By Milo Milford, Haiti Liberté, Sept. 7, 2016

On Tue., Aug. 30, 2016 in Pétionville, Haitian Foreign Minister Pierrot Délienne met his Dominican counterpart Miguel Vargas Maldonado, who visited Haiti for several hours.

"Driven by a common will to work together for the rapprochement our two countries which share this island, we realized that it was quite important and in the interests of our two peoples to strengthen and revitalize the dialogue for tightening and consolidating the links between them," said Mr. Délienne after the meeting.

For the head of Haitian diplomacy, Mr. Maldonado’s visit was proof of the Dominican authorities’ willingness to work towards harmonizing bilateral relations. He recalled that the two countries share both history and geography, adding that the culture of friendship, development, cooperation, and solidarity are the cornerstones of building their future.